Africans on the Move: Critical Reflections on Mobility, Citizenship and Belonging
Africans on the Move: Critical Refelections on Mobility, Citizenship and Belonging
The series explores a central theme in migration research, namely the identity-mobility nexus, but does so through ongoing research from across the African continent. The theme encompasses issues relating to xenophobia and migrant integration, documentation and migrant rights, and the role of the diaspora. The emphasis is on intra-African migration, to balance the previous series’ focus on Afro-European relations.
The lecture series combines three different virtual formats, all exploring aspects of the overall theme. The first session presents the Annual AMMODI Keynote Lecture, a traditional lecture format, followed by a Q&A session. The second session is in the form of a Research Lab, in which two scholars will present ongoing work and receive feedback from a discussant and from the listeners. The third and final session is organised as a Roundtable discussion with invited panellists, with speakers representing different geographical regions and thematic specialisations as well as prior research experience.
- 14th July 2022 at 5pm CEST / 6pm EAT / 5pm SAST / 4pm WAT
- Milcah Abasabyona | Makerere University
- Francis Akindes | Université Alassane Ouattara
- Adeoye Akinola | Institute for Pan-African Thought and Conversation
- Amanda Hammar | University of Copenhagen
Full programme available here.
The lectures take place on Thursdays three times during the summer term. Please register for participation via zoom (name, first name, email address; at the bottom). You will receive a zoom link for participation shortly before the event. By participating in the zoom meeting, you agree to the data protection notice (more).
Past events in this series:
- 30th June 2022 at 5pm CEST / 6pm EAT / 5pm SAST / 4pm WAT
- Presenter: Francis Nyamnjoh | University of Cape Town “Uncontaining Mobility: Lessons from Covid-19”
- 7th July 2022 at 2pm – 15h30 CEST / 3pm EAT / 2pm SAST / 1pm WAT
- Nora Bardelli | Université de Neuchâtel " ‹ Là où l’on va il faut danser comme ils dansent ›: different experiences of belonging and integration of refugees from Mali living in Burkina Faso"
- Abdoulaye Ngom | University of Ziguinchor « ‹ Mbeuk mi › ou l’émigration irrégulière par la voie maritime au Sénégal: enjeux, causes et actualité »
- Discussant: Lucy Hovil