The Arnold Bergstraesser Institute practises research-based consulting that draws on the specific regional knowledge, specialist experience and methodological skills of its research staff and research assistants. The Institute also carries out studies, project evaluations, training and other consultancy missions for various development policy actors (Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development – BMZ, German Society for International Cooperation – GIZ, political foundations, etc.), provided that these activities exhibit synergies with the Institute's research interests. The ABI is a member of the Working Group Development Policy of the German Evaluation Society and its research staff and research assistants are Capacity Works certified.
Larger recurring commissions include the GIZ Winter School Democratic Governance. The ABI also regularly draws up country evaluations for various actors (BMZ/German Institute of Global and Area Studies – GIGA, PÖK/PÖR, BMZ/GIGA conflict analyses, Bertelsmann Transformation Index, Federal Agency for Civic Education – bpb – Dossier on Inner-state Conflicts, etc.).
Some consultings in recent years:
- State Ministry of Baden-Württemberg "Africa in Focus" Baden-Württemberg
- Study on Migration Policy in Gambia
- City of Freiburg Inventory of civil society activities with global responsibility of the City of Freiburg
- DAAD Gouvernance pour le développement local durable et intégrative (zusammen mit der Hochschule Kehl), DAAD
- DAAD African Good Governance Network
- FES Evaluation of the Regional Dialogue Southeast Europe
- OSZE Election Obeservation: Mongolia
- OSZE Observation: Mazedonia
- Country Reports and Expert Advice (German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development), German Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bertelsmann-Foundation etc.)